Saturday, December 18, 2010

Top Albums #4 - Arcade Fire – The Suburbs



This is an album that sees its victory in the transitions between songs. The way each song moves into the next one always makes perfect sense. Combined with the albums theme, it often gives the songs room to breathe so the band can tell one big story. 

While the first and title track eases seamlessly into Ready to Start, the band takes different approaches on others. Rococo for example starts with pretty jarring squeal as if to say “Listen up! Now we’re doing this.” Empty Room takes a similar approach starting with a flourish of strings taking the tempo somewhere else, then it slides right into City With No Children with the same repose you hear at the beginning.

It’s this careful planning and execution of their songs that sees the Suburbs pushed into so-called “masterpiece” territory that they’ve grown accustomed to. While I won’t go as far as to say that myself, I will say that every aspect of it is lovable. Even the album art is beautiful coming through more on the vinyl. The lyrics are hand written on the sleeves in a way that shows the scribbles and changes on the way. One more little attention to detail that takes the listener along the same path that the band travelled to get here.

While I’ve loved their previous albums from first listen, I often felt that the Arcade Fire never had a chance to really enjoy their rise to fame in the same ways many other bands do. I like to compare it with an established adult that missed out on their childhood. They shot up so far and fast with Funeral that you wondered if they could sustain it. Luckily on this album you can hear that they can and that they still have room to grow. I think the area where that comes through the most is in the vocals. Win Butler’s voice is the strongest I have ever heard it, while still maintaining the vulnerability I loved about it in the first place.

Anyone that tells you that the three years between Neon Bible and the Suburbs wasn’t worth the wait is either a liar or just needs to sit still and listen to it again. This time around, the Arcade Fire had me wanting more after each listen. This summer that feeling bordered on obsessive when I got a taste of the album in the form of an early release, two-song ten inch. I found myself listening to the title track on a slower RPM so I could get another song out of it. If you think that sounds ridiculous…well you’re completely right.

Maybe if I had seen them live this summer this album would be higher on my list. But unfortunate circumstances saw me miss that show and as a result the Arcade Fire continue to be my musical Polkeroo. That doesn’t mean I don’t love this album, I really do. When you see what they’re up against further down the list I hope you’ll understand!

Top Tracks: The Suburbs, Rococo, Half Light Sprawl II. It's really best when you take the time and listen to all of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment