Thursday, December 16, 2010

Top Albums #6 – Land of Talk – Cloak and Cipher



The very first sound on Cloak and Cipher is singer Elizabeth Powell saying “oh my god, I like that.” That was all it to hook me. The only band with a female vocalist to make my list this year, Land of Talk refused to be excluded.

Lizzie’s singing effortlessly gets under your skin and into your head. Soft but forceful at the same time, it’s one of the most charming albums I heard all year. She wraps every lyric around you and I’ll admit that I had a crush on her by the end of my first listen.

This is the one album on here that I won’t try to dissect lyrics on. They are what they are and I don’t want to pretend I know what Powell was driving at. All I will say is that they’re extremely well written and highlight her skills both as a guitarist and singer. I will also say that she finds her strength in her choruses. Color Me Badd may have my favorite one on the album.

My friend Owen tipped me off to this album. I didn’t need any other encouragement than that. I promptly went to my record store and bought it. Gambling has never been my thing, but when you get an ace tip from your music bookie, you listen!

Top Tracks: Quarry Hymns, Color Me Badd

No comments:

Post a Comment